3/4 pound kumquats, thinly sliced and seeds removed
1 cup water
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups heavy cream, whipped
1 piece of candied ginger, finely chopped (optional)
1. Put sliced kumquats, water and sugar in a saucepan; simmer gently until the fruit is soft. This may take 30 minutes but check occasionally.
2. Purée the fruit with the liquid and let cool.
3. Fold cream into the purée with the ginger, if used.
4. Pour into a container, cover and freeze until firm, beating twice at hourly intervals.
5. About 30 minutes before serving, transfer the ice cream to the refrigerator.
Serve decorated with twisted strips of kumquat peel and candied ginger.
SUBMITTED BY: PHOTO BY: