2 pounds carrots (peeled and trimmed weight–2½ pounds unpeeled, 10 carrots), peeled, coarsely grated (about 7 cups)
6 green onions, chopped (8 if small)
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
16 kumquats, quartered lengthwise, seeded, sliced 1/8″ crosswise
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon sweet paprika
½ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
8 whole red cabbage leaves
1. Mix carrots, green onions, parsley and kumquats in large bowl to blend.
2. Whisk vinegar, lemon peel mustard and paprika in small bowl to blend.
3. Gradually whisk in oil. (Or, use blender to mix and add oil.)
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over carrot mixture. Toss to coat evenly.
5. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Keep refrigerated.
6. Let stand 1 hour at room temperature before serving.)
7. Spoon salad into cabbage leaves; arrange on individual serving plates or all on platter and serve.
8 Servings. Per serving: 200 calories.
SUBMITTED BY: Jim Ozark